Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I thought I was done

I thought I had finished the entire book regarding Race in America. In the end I was convinced I was black by OMB standards.

For the last two years I worked at a Historically Black University. I was hired as CIO I was promoted to VP of Business and Finance and then to VP of Operations. While I was there I cut IT costs by 60 percent, increased available computers by more than 200 percent, cut energy costs through green methods, reduced the overall budget and increased revenues all while going through re-accreditation by SACS and introducing a novel idea of providing cell phones to every student. I must add despite being a Physicist by education, the Financial Audit was the first "clean" audit in 5 years. However, my greatest accomplishment came in the classroom. I taught 1 Physics course a semester and in the last year I recieved 100 percent perfect reviews by my students. White skin Physics teacher, black skin students and it was their favorite class. It is because I coached in the Classroom. Not just Physics but life skills.

Despite my accomplishments I feel I must still add one more chapter to the book. Two years in the Lions Den. Well meant Federal Money is killing small institutions. It is a complex model but it is real. Millions are given to a University to build a new program. There are not enough operational funds for the programs at hand. Building more only makes troubles worse. We have to rethink how we award money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home